Click here for the current table of Fees 2014 – 15
There are reductions in fees for brothers in school at the same time (5% for the second son, and 20% for the third son); for the sons of serving members of HM Forces (10%), and for daughters attending one of our ‘sister’ schools (St George’s School for Girls, Edinburgh; Kilgraston School, Perth and Queen Margaret’s School, York). Apply to the Admissions Department for further details.
Where parental income is not sufficient to allow the pupil to attend Merchiston, parents may apply for means-tested assistance, which may be up to 100% of the day or boarding fees depending upon financial circumstances.
Applicants’ parents will be asked to complete a confidential Statement of Financial Circumstances. In this way, Merchiston strives to ensure that financial assistance is used to widen access to the School and to assist the greatest number of parents who require support. The School may also assist parents with applications to external trust funds, such as the Joint Educational Trust, for additional financial support where appropriate.
The School is a charity, and wants pupils to come to Merchiston to develop their talents further, irrespective of financial circumstances. For more information on fees, including planning for school fees, insurance and medical schemes, please contact the Bursar on 0131 312 2215, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Application Process
Assistance may be made available to parents/guardians of children entering any year-group at Merchiston Castle School although due to budgetary constraints assistance is only normally offered from Year 8 (Scottish S1 upwards). They are awarded at the discretion of the Governors and the Head and Bursar are responsible for the management and coordination of the process.
- Step One: Parents/guardians seeking assistance are required to complete an application form which seeks to establish the financial circumstances of the household. The form, which requests details of income and capital, may be found here: Statement of Financial Circumstances and must be accompanied by full documentary evidence. The completed forms, together with the necessary documentary evidence, are to be submitted to the Bursar no later than the last day of the Autumn Term in any year for bursaries to start the following September.
- Step Two: The Bursar assesses all applications in order to establish the likely level of assistance which will be required in order to allow the child to attend the School. This may involve the Bursar, or his representative, visiting the parents/guardians’ home to ensure the information has been correctly interpreted and the basis of the financial assessment has been fair.
- Step Three: The Bursar prepares a recommendation in accordance with the Merchiston Castle School Scale of Awards which is considered with the Head and a joint recommendation is then reached.
- Step Four: The joint recommendation is presented to the School Governors for approval.
- Step Five: End of February (J4 to III form entrants); or by end of March (IV to LVI Form entrants). The parents/guardians are advised whether their child is to be offered a place at the School and of the level of assistance available, if any.
- Step Six: Parents/guardians are then required to sign a letter accepting the place
The first term’s fees will be payable by the first day of term, and an invoice is sent out in June or July. Unless agreed otherwise by the School, fees are payable termly and must be paid by the first day of term. There are 3 terms in each year. Other arrangements for fee payment may be available on application to the Assistant Bursar (Finance), Mrs Caroline McIntosh. If, after your son joins the School, fees are outstanding, the School reserves the right to refuse to allow your child to continue attending the School (or may withhold references) whilst fees remain unpaid. The School reserves the right to charge interest on sums which are outstanding.
It is a requirement of entry to Merchiston that your financial obligations to other schools must be fulfilled before your son can enter Merchiston.
A comprehensive list of Extras on School Fees is available on this link.