“…these brainboxes snagged one of Scotland’s highest percentages of A*-B grades at A Level ” Tatler School Guide 2018
With an ethos based on traditional values, Merchiston encourages self-reliance and independence, as well as respect for and tolerance of others. The main objective is to motivate pupils to try their hardest and to strive to achieve the highest levels possible in all areas – firstly academic, then cultural, sporting, leadership, and simply living together as part of a community.
Outstanding off the field…*
• 3 As at A Level is 144 UCAS points. Merchiston’s average is 141 points. A bespoke curriculum delivering outstanding outcomes for our pupils.
• 100% overall pass rate at A Level.
• 50% of grades achieved at A Level were at A*/A level.
• 95% of pupils gained places at their first or second choice university.
• 69% of pupils went to UK Russell Group Universities, Bath, St Andrews and leading international institutions.
• SAT support clinics for applicants for American Universities. Students have gained admission to Ivy League Universities, such as Cornell and Brown.
• 66% of grades achieved at GCSE were A*/A or 9/8/7 level.
• 41% of grades achieved at GCSE were A* or 9/8 level.
• 32% of grades achieved in the new GCSE marking system were level 9 (one grade higher than A*).
• 100% pass rate in many GCSE subjects, including Art, Computer Science, Electronics, English Language, English Literature, French, German, Latin and Spanish.
• Gradual progression to secondary teaching from Primary 6.
• Full boarding with a varied weekend activity programme specifically suited to age and stage.
• Member of the World Leading Schools Association – the only School in Scotland!
* Interim Academic Results 2017/18
And on the field…
• No.1 UK Junior Ranking Golf School (ISGA, 2014/15, 2015/16, 2016/17 & 2017/18).
• No.2 World Tennis School (ISF, 2017).
• No.3 UK Tennis School (LTA, 2018).
• Representation in all of the 2017/18 Scottish National Rugby Teams.
• 67 Merchistonians capped at full international level.
• Former pupil, Zach Mercer (Bath), included in England Rugby squad for 2018 Six Nations.
• 3 Merchistonians capped for the British and Irish Lions.
• 25 Merchistonians capped at full international level for Scotland in Cricket (one boy while still at school).
• Winners of the U15 T20 Scottish Schools Cup in 2018. Runners-up in U18 Scottish Schools Cup 2017.
• Scottish Schools 4 x 400m Relay Championships 2017.
• A Year 9 Golf Academy pupil achieved fourth place in the 2018 U16 Faldo Series. Championship, held in Dubai. The competition hosts approximately sixty of the world’s leading junior golfers.
• In 2017/18, 88% of all pupils, from 7-18, represented the School in sport.
• In 2017/18, there were 75 different teams, of all abilities, playing competitive fixtures across 16 sports: a total of 480 fixtures.
• A wide range of sports available, such as athletics, cricket and hockey, suitable for boys of all abilities.