“…these brainboxes snagged one of Scotland’s highest percentages of A*-B grades at A Level ” Tatler School Guide 2018
With an ethos based on traditional values, Merchiston encourages self-reliance and independence, as well as respect for and tolerance of others. The main objective is to motivate pupils to try their hardest and to strive to achieve the highest levels possible in all areas – firstly academic, then cultural, sporting, leadership, and simply living together as part of a community.
Outstanding off the field…*
• 47% of pupils achieved A*/A grades at A Level
• 82% of pupils gained places at their first or second choice university
• 64% of pupils went to UK Russell Group Universities, Bath, St Andrews and leading international institutions
• 92% A*/A/B pass rate in Further Mathematics at A Level
• SAT support clinics for applicants for American Universities. Students have gained admission to Ivy League Universities, such as Cornell and Brown
• 62% of pupils achieved A*/A grades at GCSE
• 18 pupils achieved 9 or more A*/A GCSE grades
• Best Head of Public School (runner-up), Tatler School Guide 2015 and 2018
• Gradual progression to secondary teaching from Primary 6
• Full boarding with a varied weekend activity programme specifically suited to age and stage
* Academic Results 2016/17
And on the field…
• No.1 UK Junior Ranking Golf School (ISGA, 2014/15, 2015/16 & 2016/17)
• No.2 World Tennis School (ISF, 2017)
• No.3 UK Tennis School (LTA, 2018)
• Representation in all of the 2017/18 Scottish National Rugby Teams
• 66 Merchistonians capped at full international level
• In 2016/17, 89% of all pupils, from 7-18, represented the School in sport.
• In 2016/17, there were 73 different teams, of all abilities, playing competitive fixtures across 16 sports: a total of 539 fixtures.
• Wide range of sports available, such as athletics, cricket and hockey, suitable for boys of all abilities