The overall objective of the Department of Physical Education is to ensure that each and every boy leaves the School with an understanding of the role of physical activity in leading an active and healthy lifestyle.
As a department, we are proud of the healthy lifestyles that the boys lead at Merchiston and hours that they dedicate to physical activity. Practical lessons provide the basis of our teaching and the boys follow a structured curriculum through all the years up to the end of Fifth Form. The PE staff are well qualified and enthusiastic and work hard to create a challenging environment to ensure all pupils are stretched.
The staff aim:
- To maintain and/or stimulate pupil interest and enjoyment in PE and to promote health and fitness for current and future lifestyles.
- To enable pupils to be familiar with a body of knowledge, principles and vocabulary related to PE.
- To enable pupils to see PE as a major feature in our lives related to leisure, employment and culture and as part of a wider body of knowledge and skills, e.g. interpersonal and problem solving skills
- To enable pupils to understand and use safe practice and to appreciate its importance in PE as well as the short and long term effects of exercise on the body.
- To understand the role of exercise in a fit and healthy lifestyle
- To enable pupils to work independently and as part of a team in varied activities, so that PE contributes to the development of core skills such as communication by speech.
- To employ teaching methods and resources that allow all pupils to have equal access to PE, and to experience success and enjoyment in their PE work.
- To develop an awareness in pupils of the implications of sport and physical activity (past and present) for the individual and the local, national and international communities.