Congratulations to Upper Sixth pupil, Rory W, who has secured a much sought after place to study Liberal Arts at New York University. One of the best universities in the world!
The Department aims to:
- develop an understanding of Christianity and other religions and a recognition of religion as an important expression of human experience
- help pupils (irrespective of their own personal religious conviction) to understand the place of religion in the development of our society’s history and culture
- lead pupils to appreciate moral values such as honesty, liberty, compassion for others, and justice
- investigate and understand the questions and answers that religions can offer about the nature and meaning of life
- develop pupils’ own beliefs, attitudes, moral values, and behaviour through a process of search and critical evaluation
Being Chaplain at Merchiston is very much like being a parish priest in a village. I am involved in nearly every aspect of community life, the highs and the lows, the celebrations and the difficult times too. To use a theological phrase it is “incarnational ministry” getting alongside staff and pupils, supporting and encouraging and hopefully too showing the value of the spiritual in an increasingly secular world.
Rev BlairTeacher of Religious Studies