The rich biodiversity and heritage of the Water of Leith offers many recreational and educational opportunities.
Third in our line of performances, we have our accordion teacher, Paul Chamberlain.
I do not think it is possible to improve on this, as all that could be done has been done by the School, and more. We have been so impressed by the real care and warmth we have met in all members of the staff at Merchiston. Thank you very much.
I am delighted with the way my son is cared for and I can think of no way that the School could improve on what they already provide. There is no comparison between Merchiston and the other school in which I have a child. Merchiston is streets ahead on the care front.
You will have questions, lots of them. It’s inevitable; choosing a school is a serious undertaking.
We completely understand the enormity of the task and are here to answer all your questions, even the ones that you think might be too trivial to ask. Here are some of the questions regularly asked. Please do call us with the ones specific to you and your son.
- What if we do not know anything about independent schools?
- How many boys are in the School?
- How many terms are there in the school year?
- Which boarding house will my son join?
- Do all pupils have their own room?
- Can pupils stay at school during holidays?
- What is a 'Half Term' holiday?
- What is a leave-out?
- Are meals / tuition included in the fees?
- Can you provide special diets?
- How can we meet or make contact with other Merchiston parents?
- Who looks after pupils when they first arrive?
- How will I make friends at Merchiston / Will I have friends of different ages?
- Does the School have any special things or words it is helpful to know?
- What is 'Prep'?
- Do boys have to play rugby?
- What is the weather like in Edinburgh?
- Is the School warm?
- Can my son learn a musical instrument?
- Can pupils wear their own clothes at school?
- Where can I buy the School uniform?
- Will I have to wear a tartan kilt at school?
- Do pupils have to do their own laundry?
- Are pupils allowed to go into Edinburgh?
- How will I meet girls at Merchiston?
- Is there Internet access in the School, in boarding houses or in bedrooms?
- Does the School provide email accounts and access to social networking sites, or to Skype?
- Does the School provide transport to Edinburgh / to the airport ?
- Can pupils bring their own pictures / posters from home?
- Are mobile phones allowed?
- How can pupils keep their belongings safe?
- Will my son develop a Scottish accent at Merchiston?
- Why do International pupils need a guardian at school?
- What religious denomination is the school?
- Can someone help with translation if we visit the School?
- Where can we stay if we are visiting the School?
- Does the School accept Euros / dollars / cash payment / credit cards?
- Do pupils need to have private medical insurance?