Named after Cecil Evans, Headmaster of Merchiston from 1936 to 1957.
Cecil Evans, a Scholar of Brasenose College, Oxford, nicknamed affectionately “The Tank” at Merchiston by pupils and staff, was also a keen games player, having gained a Blue for Rugby Football at Oxford. He introduced the Oxford and Cambridge Higher Certificate, thereby increasing the level of academic attainment by the Sixth Form pupils and, under his leadership, the Drama, Music and Sport at Merchiston flourished.
The Second World War years proved to be a great strain on him as the Headmaster since many masters departed for War service and School numbers fell for a time. In 1961, the Evans Memorial Swimming Pool was opened and to this day, Cecil Evans cups for swimming are competed for annually.
Evans House was originally located in the main building to accommodate Upper Sixth form pupils and is the area now occupied by the Harvey Hub and the study bedrooms upstairs in the Harvey annexe. When Laidlaw House opened in 2009, Rogerson East was divided and part of the building became Evans House. This new area was redeveloped to provide improved accommodation for Sixth Form day boys along with their own dedicated Housemaster.