Pringle House was named after John Summers Pringle, who attended Merchiston from 1896 to 1901. He then studied at Clare College, Cambridge and served in the Great War as Captain, where he received the French Croix de Guerre. He was also a School Governor between 1923 and 1936.
Pringle House, with its delightful sheltered walled garden, was originally built as the School’s Sanatorium to look after up to 42 boys, should there be an epidemic, with its own Matron and domestic staff. By the 1960s, improved medical advances, such as Penicillin, meant that this facility was not really required, and at this time the School roll was high and boys were being turned away due to lack of boarding places available.
Thanks to the large bequest in 1967 from John Summers Pringle, the large West Ward was converted into three separate small dormitories and Pringle House opened with 13 junior boarders and 5-day boys. Such was the success of Pringle that in 1969 the other Wing was redeveloped to accommodate a growing number of younger boys wanting to join the School and numbers increased to 28. The walled kitchen garden was slowly abandoned and grassed over to create a football pitch and modern showers and recreational rooms were developed through further extension work, along with more spacious residential accommodation for staff.
Today, Pringle House forms part of Merchiston Juniors, which caters for boys around 7 to 12, with those in J4, J5 and the First Form being taught in the Pringle Teaching Centre.