Lent Term Arts programme
12th January, 2016
This week, Mr Thompson is very pleased to launch the Arts Programme for the term. The Arts Programme gives boys the opportunity to participate in some of the cultural opportunities that come with being on the edge of Scotland’s capital city. The programme for this term is below (and can be found on page 29 of the school calendar):
- Thursday 21st January: Beethoven’s Seventh Symphony (classical orchestral music), Queen’s Hall, 7:30pm
- Tuesday 26th January: The Weir (play), Royal Lyceum Theatre, 7:30pm
- Monday 1st February: Agatha Christie’s A Murder is Announced, King’s Theatre, 7:30pm
- Monday 8th February: Blood Brothers (musical), Edinburgh Playhouse, 7:30pm
- Thursday 3rd March: McLeod Cup and Forbes Bowl Music Competition, Memorial Hall, 6:30pm
- Tuesday 8th March: The Crucible (play), Royal Lyceum Theatre, 7:30pm
- Thursday 17th March: Brahms’ Requiem (classical choral and orchestral music), Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Usher Hall, 7:30pm
- Saturday 19th March: Choral Society Concert with St George’s, St Mary’s Cathedral, 7:00pm
There are some in-school events here, but most give boys the option of seeing a professional performing company at work. This term’s programme includes classical music, drama and musical theatre, and is open to all boys in IV Form and above. All VI Formers must choose one event per term, but may choose as many as they like. The programme is not compulsory for IV – V Form boys, but we encourage them to take part, and most are very keen to do so.
The Arts Programme is one of the most tangible benefits of Merchiston’s location, and we hope that all our IV to VI Formers will find something to enjoy this term.