MCS weekly history: Colinton Castle
23rd May, 2016
Colinton Castle was built by the Cunningham family around 1450. Sir James Forbes bought the Castle and surrounding grounds in 1519 and this family occupied the castle until around 1790. Oliver Cromwell’s soldiers are believed to have occupied the building in 1650. Sir William Forbes built Colinton House in 1800 to live in and left the old Colinton Castle to fall into decay. The ruins of the castle now stand behind ‘Castle Gates’, the Headmaster’s House, which was built when Merchiston Castle School moved to Colinton from Bruntsfield in 1930.