MCS weekly history: Colinton House
30th May, 2016
Around 1790, Sir William Forbes bought the Colinton estate, which contained Colinton Castle. He set about building
Colinton House, appointing Richard Crichton as his chosen architect. Richard Crichton jointly designed the Bank of
Scotland on the Mound and his drawings of Colinton House are now amongst the Fettercairn drawings.
In October 1924, Dr JW Dowden persuaded the Merchiston Board to purchase the 96 acre estate of Colinton House,
together with its stables, walled garden and parkland and in the Autumn Term of 1930, the School opened at its new
location. The original intention was that Colinton House would become the Prep School for the younger boys but
sadly there was a need to reduce the overall cost and the plans were revised.
It is now named Gibson House after John Gibson, Headmaster of Merchiston between 1850 and 1856 and Physics, Chemistry and Biology are taught in this building.